We would strongly recommend not to pay in advance. If you must pay something to have the seller hold the product for you, ensure it is a small & insignificant amount.
Advance payment is the most common technique adopted by fraud sellers to trick buyers and pursue them to make upfront payments for goods, services, etc.
Advance payment frauds – What you must watch for!
- Too good to be true and irresistible offers
- Token money demands without meeting in person/physically checking the product
- Posing as people from trustworthy & noble professions like Army Personnel, CISF, BSF, Doctors, NGOs, Public services, etc.
- Showcase of absolute urgency to sell the item or an emotional appealg. family member is sick and urgent need of money for operation, payment of school fees, etc.
- Job guarantee offers and employment schemes requesting an advance fee to secure the job or obtain the materials to perform the job or involving money transfer.
- Advance fees to cover any processing charges, pay duty, taxes, courier fees, shipment and conversion charges, etc.
Note: We have put in “safety tips” before you start chatting with OLX users to advise you on concluding a safe deal
You can also read the safety tips while chatting with the user. Follow the below steps:
- On the Ad page, select the ‘Chat’ option.
- Once the chat window opens, tap on the “3 dots” on the top right.
- A smart window will display on upper right. Tap on ‘Safety Tips’ button and tips will be displayed.