Although we make sure we’re at the cutting edge of innovation when it comes to preventing fraud, your safety is just as much our responsibility as it is yours. So, here are tips for spotting fraud for buyers and sellers.
- If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Especially if it’s advertised at a suspiciously low price
- The seller wants Advance payment or initial deposit before sending you the item. They’ll often insist that you can pay the balance when collecting the item, or refund your money should you be unhappy with the item
- The seller can’t meet you in a public place but wants to deliver the item personally
- The seller asks for personal information like your ID number, bank details, your email address, or your debit/credit card number
- If the seller wants to take you off the OLX chat by saying “email me” or “call me on this number”
- The buyer insists on using a cheque,
- The buyer demands you send the item before they pay for it
- The Buyer asks for personal information like your ID, bank details, your email address, your debit/credit card number
- The buyer is from a foreign country or wants to buy the item for a relative who is abroad
- The buyer will ask to send a driver to collect an item without viewing it. They often immediately reverse the online payment or send a fake proof of payment
We take your safety very seriously, and so there are several ways you can report fraud.
- If you suspect an ad, please tap on the Report this ad at the bottom of the ad
- If you suspect a user, please open their profile, tap on the three dots in top right corner and tap on User report