OLX’s Policy for Pets
As OLX, we realize that at times, birds and animals may come into delinquent hands for certain commercial advantage. Our restricted posting rules in the “Pets” category arise out of our sensitivity towards birds and animals. We advise you to go through our Pets Policy before listing or purchasing a pet. The aim of our Pets Policy is also to educate our users about various laws applicable to purchase and sale of animals, and as a result, create awareness among our users to enable them to report any illegal trade on our platform or outside of it to the authorities.
What we allow
In the interest of safe trading of animals and OLX’s pursuit to protect animals from exploitation, it allows posting ads for dogs, cats, and fishes only in its Pets category subject to certain exceptions.
As breeding and trading of dogs is regulated as per Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Dog Breeding and Marketing) Rules, 2017, hence, we don’t allow posting of dogs without a registration under these rules.
What we don’t allow
- Posting of animals other than dogs, cats and fishes;
- Posting of animals & birds which fall under the restricted category as per The Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972 & Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES);
- Posting of birds and animals used for fighting/racing or sacrifice.
What to be mindful of
As users of OLX, we would like to apprise you of certain points you may keep in mind at the time of purchasing/selling in Pets Category on the Platform
- While posting an ad in Pets category, apart from the Posting Rules, please ensure you abide by following
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Dog Breeding and Marketing) Rules, 2017 – In case you are a breeder, please ensure you have a valid certificate of registration from Animal Welfare Board of India and you are compliant with all requirements regarding mental and physical well-being of the dogs under these rules ;
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Regulation of Livestock Markets) Rules, 2017 – These rules deal with supervision in livestock by district and state markets. They lay down the minimum facilities to be provided in livestock markets and prescribe methods of handling, controlling and penning or caging of animals;
What you need to know as a purchaser
- As a purchaser, please ensure:
- While purchasing a pup/dog from a breeder, you may ensure he is registered as per Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Dog Breeding and Marketing) Rules, 2017 and such breeder is meeting conditions of sale as per the Rules;
- For your information purposes, you may go through the all the rules mentioned in clause (i).
- The Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act 1972 & Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) – These laws deal with threatened and endangered species of animals and provide a list of animal and wildlife products that are prohibited. As a policy, we do not allow trading of these prohibited animals and wildlife products.
Information for users
- Registration under Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Dog Breeding and Marketing) Rules, 2017 – If you wish to obtain a registration of breeder under these rules, you need to submit an application as per the prescribed format to the State Welfare Board of the state in which you reside. This registration is valid for a period of two years and may be renewed further.
How can you help?
OLX works closely with various law enforcement agencies and it is our endeavor to help such agencies in tracking possible violation of animal welfare laws through the Platform. We believe in deleting ads that we suspect may have any connection with animal cruelty or are in violation of applicable laws and may refer these ads for the investigation to law enforcement agencies. You can also help us in our initiative prevention of trading of endangered and prohibited species. In case you [encounter/suspect] any illegal trade of wildlife animals through OLX or any breach of our Posting Rules, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and please report to the relevant authorities.
Please refer to the list of
List of nodal officers under State animal welfare board and SPCA
The Gazette of India by Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate change